About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Eunice and I live in Bolton, Lancashire, with my two dogs Sophie and Sugar and an assortment of cats - well it used to be Sophie and Sugar, now it's Sophie and Poppie. I first began camping back in 1997 when my then partner took me to Anglesey for my birthday weekend. We slept in the back of the car - a hatchback - using the cushions off the settee at home as a mattress, and cooked and brewed up on a single burner camping stove. The site was good, the views were great, the weather fantastic and I was completely hooked. Following that weekend we got a two-man tent and some proper accessories and returned to Anglesey two weeks later, then over time we progressed to a three-man tent followed by an old trailer tent, then a new trailer tent, a campervan and finally a caravan. When my partner decided that the grass was greener on the other side of the street - literally - in April 2009 and I suddenly found myself alone after fifteen years, I decided there was no way I was going to give up camping and caravanning if I could cope on my own. This blog is the story of my travels, trials and tribulations since becoming a solo camper - I hope you like it

Monday September 18th 2017 - Do pheasants have brains?

After the previous day's lovely blue sky and sunshine the weather was back to being damp and dismal again so it was another morning spent in the van. It did stop raining at lunch time though and it brightened up into quite a pleasant afternoon, although it wasn't really sunny enough for long enough to go anywhere proper so I went the few miles back to Clippesby and paid my second visit to Eileen and Ron - it was actually Eileen's birthday and even though she couldn't see very well I still took a card for her. I took a slightly different route than usual though and it was while I was driving down a narrow country lane not far from their cottage that I experienced something which gave me a fit of the giggles.

As I rounded a bend I came across two pheasants in the middle of the lane so not wanting to run them over I slowed down and waited for them to get out of the way - except they didn't. They decided that rather than jump into the safety of the hedge they would run in front of the van - and they ran and ran, with me driving slowly behind them. No wonder so many get killed on country roads, they just don't seem to have the sense to get out of the way. Unfortunately the camera wasn't within my reach or I would have snapped a photo of them as they looked so funny, however I continued to drive slowly along and eventually, after quite a distance, they jumped onto the grass verge and disappeared through the hedge.

My bird encounters continued however, as round the next bend I came across a couple of partridges who did exactly the same thing as the pheasants, except they didn't run as far as the pheasants had before they sought the safety of the hedge. It was really funny to watch them and it struck me then that now I know where the expression 'bird brain' probably came from. I told Eileen and Ron about them and Ron said that pheasants in particular seem to be really stupid creatures.

With no Joe around I was able to take Sophie and Poppie into the house and they were thoroughly spoiled with affection and treats by both my friends; it was easy to see how much they love dogs so I really hoped they would find another friend of their own soon. Sitting in the conservatory I noticed a couple of pheasants out in the garden and Ron told me that round about 4pm they would start gathering on the lawn until there was a huge group of them then they would disappear into the trees beyond. And sure enough, every time I looked out of the window more pheasants had appeared - I lost count at twenty five, there must have been at least fifty if not more. Then all at once they were gone - when I looked out again there wasn't a single pheasant to be seen, it was as if they'd disappeared into thin air. These really were peculiar creatures.

After a very pleasant couple of  hours it was time for me to say my goodbyes for this year, so with a hug and kiss for Eileen and the promise to send a card and letter at Christmas I clipped the leads on the dogs and took my leave. Back at the camp site the aroma of cooking was drifting across the field from the nearby chip shop so I decided that as it was my last full day I would treat myself to fish and chips. The portion was huge even though I'd asked for a small one, and there was no way I could eat it all so just for once, and as a special treat, I shared my meal with the dogs then we settled in for our last evening on site.




6 comments:

  1. Sorry your travels have come to an end for this year, with so unpredictable weather. Hope next year will find you off on the road again.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I can find the sort of tent I want I'll be on the road again before next year Yvonne. Camping in cold dry weather doesn't bother me and I don't mind an occasional day of rain but the wet weather of this latest holiday was just too much :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just imagine you following the pheasants slowly down the lane. We had a similar experience with a sheep and son-in-law driving. Bird brains must be even smaller than sheep brains :) That must be quite something to have all those pheasants in your garden! I hope you can find the sort of tent you are looking for before your next camping trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poppie could see the pheasants through the conservatory door and she would have loved to get at them, though fortunately they'd all gone by the time I was leaving. There are sheep just up the road from here, they have acres of fields to graze in but many times I've seen them wandering along the road - they really are stupid creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used to have lots of pheasants visit our garden, but after a particularly wet and cold winter a few years back none have returned. They are not the strongest of birds and susceptible to respiratory problems (either that, or some local barstewards with a gun ....)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Possibly a combination of both Jayne :( The male pheasants have beautiful colours but intelligence-wise they really do seem to be incredibly stupid.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate good comments - who doesn't? - but due to a recent tide of spam from anonymous readers all comments will now be moderated, and only those with a direct bearing on this blog will be published. I'm sure my regular blog readers/commenters will understand the need for this - and to anyone whose comment isn't published, you know why.