About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Eunice and I live in Bolton, Lancashire, with my two dogs Sophie and Sugar and an assortment of cats - well it used to be Sophie and Sugar, now it's Sophie and Poppie. I first began camping back in 1997 when my then partner took me to Anglesey for my birthday weekend. We slept in the back of the car - a hatchback - using the cushions off the settee at home as a mattress, and cooked and brewed up on a single burner camping stove. The site was good, the views were great, the weather fantastic and I was completely hooked. Following that weekend we got a two-man tent and some proper accessories and returned to Anglesey two weeks later, then over time we progressed to a three-man tent followed by an old trailer tent, then a new trailer tent, a campervan and finally a caravan. When my partner decided that the grass was greener on the other side of the street - literally - in April 2009 and I suddenly found myself alone after fifteen years, I decided there was no way I was going to give up camping and caravanning if I could cope on my own. This blog is the story of my travels, trials and tribulations since becoming a solo camper - I hope you like it

Saturday June 11th 2016 - Part 1 - Port Dinorwic

After some heavy overnight rain the morning arrived fine but very grey and miserable with pockets of mist hanging low over the bay, although it was still very warm. It didn't bode well for a day out off the island and by lunch time it still showed no sign of clearing up, but as I needed to get a new camera card from somewhere I decided to go anyway, though not to where I'd originally planned. 

My first stop was Bangor where I eventually found a PC World store and got what I wanted, then I drove a few miles south to the little village of Port Dinorwic on the Menai Straits. I'd been there a few years ago in much nicer weather, and though there was nothing there the harbour was quite attractive and worth a few photos. As I parked up by the village green, which overlooked the straits, I could see that nothing had changed about that part of the village, but it was a different story round by the little harbour. 

Where the old dark harbour buildings and boat sheds had once been there was now a smart-looking row of harbour-side houses and a pleasant cafe with a small outside eating area and a few tables right beside the harbour wall. Round the corner was an Italian bistro, a hair salon, a beautician and a physiotherapy practice, and just up the hill at the far side of the harbour was a new hotel with apartments and a landscaped garden; with a very pleasant green area overlooking the outer harbour it looked like this place had undergone some regeneration in the few years since my last visit.



By the time I'd finished wandering round and photographing things it was time for a mid afternoon break so I thought I may as well try the cafe, and I have to say that the coffee and cake I had were very nice and not overpriced either. Walking back to the van afterwards I thought it was a shame that the day was still so cloudy and grey as I could have got some really nice photos round the regenerated harbour, but at least I've now got an excuse to make a return visit another time.



8 comments:

  1. Hi Eunice,

    Apologies for my notable absence on your notable site :) Anyhow, here I am and marvelling at your wondrous photos.

    Despite the weather, nothing like a bit of coffee and cake to comfort you. I adore Wales and your fabulous photos enhance it all. That goodness for a new camera card.

    Here's wishing you a peaceful weekend.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like the photos Gary, I think they came out quite well considering it was such a grey day. Port Dinorwic is a lovely little place so I'm looking forward to going back there sometime when it's nice and sunny.

    Give Penny a cuddle from me, and I hope you both have a good weekend too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a shame the weather was against you but you still take some great photos. The boats planted with flowers are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The weather was a bit strange that day - half the time it looked like it was going to pour down but it was really warm and you could tell that the sun was up there, it was just the grey clouds stopping it from getting through. The photos actually came out better than I thought they would, they still look reasonably bright in spite of the cloud.

    I love to see old dinghies planted with flowers - the first one is my favourite of those two. There's one in a garden just along the road from the camp site entrance, it's usually very pretty but it's not been planted up this year as there's some building work going on there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It certainly is, and one I'll go back to on a day when there's plenty of blue sky and sunshine :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly selects some lovely places to visit.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I do try not visit horrible ones! lol. Port Dinorwic is quite a cute little place and worth a visit even though there's nothing there - I'll definitely going back next time I'm on Anglesey.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate good comments - who doesn't? - but due to a recent tide of spam from anonymous readers all comments will now be moderated, and only those with a direct bearing on this blog will be published. I'm sure my regular blog readers/commenters will understand the need for this - and to anyone whose comment isn't published, you know why.